About Me

My photo
I have recently developed this huge passion for cooking, even though I've been cooking since i was 15 and have been a chef for the last 10 years. I think I am addicted to it. Or am I addicted to eating my cooking? Either way, I want to share my experiences with whom ever is interested. That is why I started this blog. Currently I am self employed as a private/personal chef and a stay at home dad. I am very thankful to have ended my restaurant career not so long ago! It's a hard life, especially when your trying to raise a family! I live in Naples, Florida where I met my beautiful wife while working at a yacht club about 3 years ago. We now have a little 6 month old daughter and life as we know it has changed forever ( for the better)! There is something going on in the food world that is very exciting! People are starting to open their eyes a little. We're going back in time, back to the farm, back to the dinner table. Something that has to be done in my opinion. I spent a lot of time at the dinner table as a child and thought is was very beneficial in how I ended up. The thing I like best about being a chef is that I will never learn it all. Ever!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Finally Got My Corned Beef



Well, it only took 10 days but I finally made my own corned beef!  My grandmother would be proud.  Actually I only brined my brisket for 7 days because I had to order the salt cure mixture from  Morton's Salt website.  The shipping cost more than the product but I was desperate.  The recipe from Alton Brown called for saltpeter which I could not find.  For the spices, I just used a small container of pickling spices from McCormick.  The end product was very satisfying, although I think next time I will use less of the Morton's TenderQuick and a little less spices.  I used two cups of the TenderQuick with 4 quarts of water. The meat itself could not have turned out more tender especially since I sliced it thin, against the grain.  The brine was a little strong tasting but with a few Guinness Stout pints all was well!  I cannot wait to make a Rueben sandwich out of this wonderful corned beef.  I would highly recommend brining your own brisket next St. Patrick's Day or whenever you feel like it.  Thanks for reading and remember:  Eat Well, Drink Well, Be Well! 

Chef Don Paleno 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the idea of making a homemade corned beef is wonderful. I feel inspired. Yours looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete