About Me

My photo
I have recently developed this huge passion for cooking, even though I've been cooking since i was 15 and have been a chef for the last 10 years. I think I am addicted to it. Or am I addicted to eating my cooking? Either way, I want to share my experiences with whom ever is interested. That is why I started this blog. Currently I am self employed as a private/personal chef and a stay at home dad. I am very thankful to have ended my restaurant career not so long ago! It's a hard life, especially when your trying to raise a family! I live in Naples, Florida where I met my beautiful wife while working at a yacht club about 3 years ago. We now have a little 6 month old daughter and life as we know it has changed forever ( for the better)! There is something going on in the food world that is very exciting! People are starting to open their eyes a little. We're going back in time, back to the farm, back to the dinner table. Something that has to be done in my opinion. I spent a lot of time at the dinner table as a child and thought is was very beneficial in how I ended up. The thing I like best about being a chef is that I will never learn it all. Ever!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's Eating Macy Rose


Or rather what is Macy Rose eating!  Macy Rose is my 6 month old daughter.  She is starting to eat real "big girl" food.  And for a young chef such as myself, it really puts things into perspective what goes into your child's mouth.  There's not many things more important than a child's nutrition.  How else do they grow up big, strong and smart?  There was no debate between my wife and I about what we were going to be feeding Macy and it certainly wasn't going to be high fructose corn syrup and preservatives which is what most store bought baby food contains.
How hard can it be to make your own baby food?  Actually, it's really easy.  All you need is a good blender or food mill.  The blender we use is okay except for the fact that it is hard to get all the product out of the pitcher, even with a rubber spatula.  I hear that Kitchen Aid makes the best when it comes to functionality but it's not cheap.  The food mill we use is top notch however and very affordable.  We bought the
Oxo Good Grips version and are very satisfied overall.  I would recommend anything by Oxo for your home!
As for what kind of fruit and veggies to feed your baby, you can pretty much try anything depending on their age.  A few good books to reference are : Superfoods for Babies and Children and First Meals & More.  The key to preparing baby food at home is practicing strict sanitary guidelines and purchasing good quality organic ingredients.  After all, a happy baby equals happy parents!  So why wouldn't you do what's best?

Peace, Love & Good Food

Chef Don Paleno

No comments:

Post a Comment